Graduate Student Internship, Spring 2016
Part-time position working for a non-profit dedicated to historic preservation. Based in Manhattan.
Mohawk Valley Collective (MVC), a non-profit founded in 2011 to advocate for historic preservation via several active building restorations, and arts programing, is seeking a dynamic and highly organized graduate student in either historic preservation or non-profit management to assist the director of the young, but fast growing non-profit.
The MVC’s projects are located in the Mohawk Valley of upstate-New York, including the villages of Fort Plain and Canajoharie. The new staff member would work alongside the executive director, with other staff and board members to define the organizational structure, workflow, and direction of the non-profit over the next stage of development, including:
• Help to manage day-to-day operations, assist with scheduling staff meetings, and planning volunteer events.
• Identifying grant opportunities and grant writing to obtain funds for operations, restorations, programming, events, etc.
• Prepare periodic reports on the activities of the non-profit including; work completed on restoration projects, final presentations for grants, documentation of other accomplishments for members of the board, donors, grantees, elected officials and other stakeholders.
• Periodic attendance to Board of Directors meetings to give progress reports, discuss projects, etc.
• Oversee public relations for the organization.
• Assist in the organization and promotion of fundraising events and campaigns via press releases, mailings, and publicity for special events.
• Help with the direction of website and social media offerings including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
• Take lead on quarterly newsletters and annual report.
This is a part-time position that offers opportunity for growth and learning and we are willing to train the right individual as needed. Skills learned will be applicable to future positions in many different fields. The ideal candidate will have:
• Strong organizational skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, and experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, Dropbox, and various forms of social media.
• Be able to commit 8-15 hours a week to the position (with flexibility towards your school/other work schedule)
• Must be self-motivated and reliable in terms of good attendance, promptness, and ability to stay with a task until completed.
• Must be able to effectively supervise assistants and volunteers as needed.
• Must be able to work cooperatively with Board and other employees/volunteers.
• Must be willing to travel for events, conferences, meetings, etc.
• SalesForce or other database experience is a plus.
• Background/interest in historic preservation, architecture, or the arts also pluses.
• Must be comfortable working with the public.
Our current focus is on Unity Hall, formerly a Universalist Church, which was built in 1896. Our vision for the church is to see it become a place for musical performances, a venue for touring bands to play (with wonderful acoustics), a place to stage plays or musical theater, a venue for artists to show their work or even to instruct workshops and classes in the arts. It would also feature a small café and coffeehouse in the heart of a small rural community and would be available for special events such as weddings, graduations, and the like. We are also working on the West Hill School, a former middle school and a more recent acquisition, which is at an earlier stage of restoration and yet holds a great of potential.
Compensation $12-$15 an hour based on experience. Can also be completed for credit as an internship.
Please tell us a little about yourself, your availability, what skills you can contribute, what special projects you’d like to work towards, and what you hope to gain from working with a new and growing preservation group.
If you are interested in applying, please send your resume and cover letter to Tolga Morawski at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.