Building Spotlight: 50 Canal Street
The Tingue Building, 50 Canal Street, built ca. 1840-50.
Historic name: Tingue Building (on façade)
Three-story, side-gabled, two storefront brick commercial building with step-gabled end walls; attic half-story with deep eaves and bracketed cornice may be an Italianate-style addition or renovation. Storefront façade remodeled with T-111 siding and reduced window and doors openings, but an older cornice may be hidden underneath new construction. Second and third stories retain regular period five-bay fenestration plan with two-over-two period sash in front and sides date to Italiante-style remodeling (ca. 1860-70); wood six-over six sash in back wall date to construction period. Built ca. 1840-50.
Historic map references: Despite being two discrete structures, 40 and 50 Canal appear to have been labeled as a single property by 1868 owned by H.E. Williams and Rosebaum: Williams & Tanner Co. Tax parcel 46.46-3-35.